“I have a dental emergency and I’m pregnant”. With your mind on your unborn child at all times, this is a difficult statement to make. However, accidents happen. Your first priority is making sure that your belly is protected. After you have made an assessment of your need for medical first aid, you can turn to your dental concerns. At Lovett Dental Heights, we aim to provide you with the best general dentistry in Houston, TX, and we provide emergency dental services for your entire family. If you fear you are having a dental emergency, contact us.
A Dental Emergency During Pregnancy
It is not easy to do – but after you have declared that you are having a dental emergency, try to remain calm. Remember that all of the stress hormones you are feeling at this time are being delivered to your unborn child simultaneously. Relax. You got this.
This is how you assess the following dental emergencies:
- Losing a tooth – When you have lost a tooth, there is a possibility of saving it for about two hours. A skilled dentist may be able to replace the tooth in your mouth. If you have lost a tooth be careful to pick it up by the crown as opposed to the root and preserve it in milk or slightly salted water.
- Cracking a tooth – If you cracked a tooth and a fragment of it has fallen off, find the fragment it may be able to be repaired. If there is bleeding at the site, apply direct pressure gentle direct pressure to alleviate the bleeding. Apply a cold compress to alleviate the swelling. It is possible your cracked tooth can wait if it is not severe.
- Breaking your jaw – If you are feeling severe pain in that in your jaw, it is possible you may have fractured it. You should go into the emergency room or seek a dental emergency resource for emergency dental services.
- Biting your lip or tongue – If the bite is less than 1/4 inch, it is possible that the bite may heal on its own. Rinse with lukewarm saltwater so you can make a better assessment. If you feel it necessary, contact your dentist and let them help you make an assessment of the injury.
- Burning the roof of your mouth – The mouth is a natural healer. Many injuries in the mouth heal on their own. This one included. Speak with your dental emergency staff to determine if the burn is severe enough to warrant emergency dental attention
- Losing a filling or a crown – If possible, find the missing filling or crown and hold onto it for the next available dental visit. If you are feeling pain, take a safe pain reliever. You can possibly replace a crown with some over-the-counter dental cement. You may be able to put an over-the-counter dentifrice into the cavity created by the lost filling.
Make A Great Choice For Your Growing Family
The statement “I have a dental emergency” can be the springboard to a positive experience. Lovett Dental Heights is a great choice for your family dentistry needs. We do not only have emergency dental services, we offer general dental services as well as cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics, endodontics, and periodontics.
Make Lovett Dental Heights Your Family Place
Here is a short specific list of other services that we offer at Lovett Dental Heights:
Call Lovett Dental Heights today to make an appointment at 832.780.4573. We are here to provide the services that you and your family need for general dentistry and emergency dental services. Call us today to improve your oral health.