Do you suffer from halitosis? If you want to improve the way your breath smells, you first have to understand the causes of bad breath. Set up an appointment with the licensed team of dentists at Lovett Dental Heights in Houston, TX. We can give you tips on how to improve your oral hygiene and fix dental issues that could be causing your problem.
What Are the Causes of Bad Breath?
The most preventable cause of bad breath stems from poor oral hygiene. To improve your breath, maintain a consistent routine of brushing, flossing, and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash. This prevents plaque from collecting along the gum line and on your tongue. Additionally, stay hydrated and get enough sleep.
Causes of bad breath include:
- Dry mouth: When your mouth is dry, there isn’t enough saliva to adequately wash away leftover food particles.
- Food choices: Avoid spicy food, garlic, and onions. Pungent food absorbed into the bloodstream ends up in the lungs and impacts your breath.
- Cigarettes and other tobacco products: Stop smoking cigars and cigarettes and refrain from using other tobacco products. Tobacco use leads to bad breath and can cause a number of undesirable health conditions, including cancer.
- Medical conditions: Certain disorders of the liver, kidneys, and other organs may lead to bad breath. In addition to speaking to your dentist, consult with a physician to identify and resolve any health issues that arise.
Importance of Good Oral Hygiene
As part of your oral health routine, visit Lovett Dental Heights for annual teeth cleaning services. Our family dentistry practice keeps your whole crew smiling with healthy teeth. Brush a minimum of two times a day. In addition, ensure that you floss daily and brush your tongue and the rest of your mouth to prevent bad breath.
How to Get Rid of Bad Breath
Good oral hygiene improves halitosis. Develop a routine that works for you.
Include the following steps in your routine to keep your breath fresh:
- Invest in anti-bacterial mouthwash to kill the germs causing your bad breath
- Watch what you drink. Limit the amount of sugary and acidic drinks you consume.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. The ideal amount for each person depends on their weight, age, and location.
- It might surprise you to hear that sugarless gum can increase the saliva in your mouth and help prevent bad breath.
- Floss every day to remove food particles between your teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day for a minimum of two minutes to loosen plaque and bacteria that cause bad breath.
- When brushing the tongue, get all the way to the back, where bacteria thrive.
The dentists and staff members at Lovett Dental Heights can help you learn the best way to brush your teeth and floss for maximum effect.
Diseases that Cause Bad Breath
An infection in your body can lead to bad breath. Infections that can lead to bad breath include:
- Chronic sinusitis
- Respiratory infection
- Liver and kidney issues
Dental Care in Katy, TX
At Lovett Dental Heights, our clients have access to top dental professionals. Here are some of the services we handle:
Once you have restored your breath to normal, you may want to perfect your smile or learn more about our other services. Whether you need new dentures or want to get an implant for a missing tooth, we have you covered. You can also call Lovett Dental Heights at 832.780.4573 for more information on the causes of bad breath. We are happy to serve our clients in Houston, TX.